These days are interesting and
As far as the Arab states are concerned, there does seem to be a large shift in pragmatism towards recognizing
Since the disengagement,
The situation in Gaza, however, does not give much cause for optimism and it looks as if they are going to miss the boat for consolidating their gains from
Mahmoud Abbas is playing a very dangerous game. A game of indecisiveness is not in his people's interests. The demonstration scenes of hooded militias firing their weapons do not create a favorable atmosphere of stability for the future of
It is difficult to imagine that P.M. Ariel Sharon will cede more territory to the Palestinians under these conditions of total anarchy. There could also be a severe spill over of terror into
The establishment of peace between
- There should be total cessation of violence between the sides.
- They must agree to negotiate peace that would allow initiation of confidence building measures between the sides to the conflict.
- They should show willingness towards a third party, preferably neutral to the conflict, to help bridge their enormous differences.
- Both sides must recognize each other's rights to security, peace and dignity.
- The rights of both sides to independence are unquestionable.
When a peaceful atmosphere between the two sides is attained,
A future Palestinian state will be dependent on international good will to ensure its viability. It will require much investment in order to rebuild its infrastructure including social and health services, education and economy to create meaningful employment for the Palestinians in building their state. This will take many years but at least a path for a decent future for the Palestinians would begin.
The Palestinian Government must decide on a programme of transparency so that corruption, which had been rife at the expense of the Palestinian people, does not reoccur.
Much work remains in bringing the two warring sides together. The advantages of peace will be a prosperous
This does seem like dreaming. However, new positive ideas could create a new reality.